Monday, August 2, 2010

Memoir Monday

With the birth of each of my nieces and my nephew I have distinct memories either of the day they were born or them as infants. My eldest niece was born in New York and I didn't meet her until she was two and I was eight. I can remember how cool it was to be an aunt. I was my mothers only child and I was not raised with my brothers so the whole idea of siblings was always sort of a mystery to me. I had always wanted a little sister, and in since, that's what Samantha became to me.

When Ashley was born three years later it was so exciting to have a baby in the family. This is probably the first baby I had ever been in a close relationship with other than cousins. I remember sitting on my brothers couch holding her for what seemed like (to an 11 year old) a really long time. Here comes the embarrassing part...the part I still remember but others probably (hopefully) don't. My arms were becoming tired and I probably wanted to go play with Samantha so I looked up at the adults and asked "does anyone want to take this thing" :-O Ashley if you are reading this, please don't be offended, I didn't mean anything by it. All of the adults made a big deal about me saying it. They weren't really mean, but they definitely laughed at me not with me.

My third eldest niece, Zoe, was born on September 12, 2001. I can remember that day soo clearly because my mom and I kept Samantha and Ashley that night. Samantha was 8 and Ashley was 4. I had just begun my senior year of high school. I remember being confused about how much I should tell them or say in front of them. I stayed up that night writing poetry (that I still have somewhere).

A few years later it was time for another niece, Drew. This time, I would be staying at my brothers house with the three oldest girls. At this time my brother was also fostering a little boy. My most vivid memory about that night was holding Zoe thinking she only had a few hours left to be the baby.

Four years ago, we welcomed my first nephew, Jonathan, into the family. This was a big deal because everyone had been waiting for a boy. I remember I was at K-Mart picking up family pictures when I got the call that he was on. My mom, My boyfriend (who I had only been dating like a week) and I rushed to the hospital. This was the first time that I was at the hospital (although I wasn't in the room :-D) and I have to admit it was really exciting.

Now its getting close to time for another baby (boy number two but shhh it's a secret, my dad doesn't want to know) I can't help wondering what will I look back on a few years from now?

I love my family and I couldn't ask for a better sister in law! I am so blessed :)

- JoAnne

No comments:

Post a Comment