Monday, July 5, 2010

Memior Monday

I have decided to share memories with you each monday. Sometimes they may be funny othertimes more of a reflection of a part of my life. Today I am sharing the first chapter of my "memior" about my year as president of the Future Educators Association.

The Idea

If someone had told me when I entered the future educators association room for the first time a year and a half ago that I would be running for president in a year I probably would have laughed in their face. Sure I had been the president of the small midlands tech chapter the year before but a small community college club is nothing compared to what would be at a university. I had transferred to USC a shy 21 year old.

Nearly a year later I sat in the office after our first Chalk Walk. The walk had been very small but had been good for our first year. I sat talking to our president debriefing from the event. “I want you to be in charge of planning the walk next year,” she said looking up at me “I will be graduating and moving and you will do great.”

I didn’t have to think to hard, I knew I wouldn’t have it any other way. I had loved planning the first one. I had marketing experience from high school and knew that I could do it. “I’d love to,” I said writing out some notes for our folder.

She paused her writing and looked up again. “I’m also recommending you for president. I looked up, I’m sure the shock was evident on my face.

“Have you heard anyone else say they’re interested in running?” I asked. She shook her head.

“Well, if one of the seniors wants to run, I wouldn’t want to take the opportunity from them, but if no one else shows interest I think I would be interested.”

“You would do great,” she said smiling, “and I’ll be here to help if you need me.”
I hope you have a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment