Monday, July 7, 2014

Summertime

Even as a kid, I was the one who almost dreaded summer break. I lived out of district and just didn't have the neighborhood friendships most people did so summer normally meant going months without hanging out with my friends. It's still very much like that, I don't get to see my work friends over the summer, and if I'm not careful it can become a very lonely, depressing time. So, while most of you are dragging your heels wishing summer would slow down, I secretly rejoiced when I saw back to school ads yesterday.

Don't get me wrong I like being able to take it easy, but I love a routine and summer break throws a big wrench in mine. 

One thing I've really come to appreciate about summer is the chance to spend time with my brother, sister-in-law and their kids. We only live about 8 miles from each other but the school year keeps us all so busy that it's sometimes hard to just spend time together. So far this summer we've taken a day trip to the beach, gone blueberry picking, and painted some pictures for my classroom. I have 4 nieces, ages 21,16, 12, and 9. I have two nephews Ages 8 and 3. And the newest addition to our family is my great nephew who just turned one. It's hard to find something they all enjoy but I seem to have hit on something last week with our art project. 

I had seen on Pinterest where an art teacher had students paint owls onto old encyclopedia pages and framed them. I really liked how each of the owls were different and thought this would be a great way for my family to contribute to my classroom decor.

I toyed with the idea of book pages but in the end, I just couldn't make myself destroy a book. So, I went to hobby lobby to stock up on scrapbook paper, I stuck mostly to 'paper' backgrounds, (maps, postcards, newspaper, dictionary, sheet music, etc.) except for the baby's I picked a baby blue and green background for him. 

They were given the option of sharpies or paints or both. Here's a picture of most of them - I was still waiting on two when I took this.

I LOVE how they turned out! I can't wait for the next project!

JoAnne

No comments:

Post a Comment