Friday, June 8, 2012

5th Grade Surprise

So, I was very fortunate to lat a LONG TERM sub position for the last 5 weeks of the school year. I have to admit I was nervous when I took it mainly because it was 5th grade and I'm Early Childhood, and partly because I had subbed in that classroom before and there were a few behavior issues. There was NO WAY I was going to turn it down though because the Principals had specifically requested ME!! This was my chance to prove myself.

It was a somewhat unusual situation in that there was NO contact with the classroom teacher and for all intents and purposes, the classroom was now mine. I was told I would be in there, most likely, for the duration of the year.

I was absolutly surprised at how much I ended up LOVING 5th grade. Most of this was probably due to my WONDERFUL team and how much they made me feel like in belonged. I hadn't realized just how much I missed planning until they gave me a class to plan for and set me loose. I was truely in my element. Hopefully I can get some photos uploaded soon. I truely looked at this as my time to shine and prove that I could hit the ground running no matter what situation I was put in. I think I did a good job. I know I have a lot of teachers pulling for me to get a permanent position there.

Now it's back to the game of checking the job postings every 5 minutes. But I'm going to use this summer to get organized and start planning even if i have no clue what grade I will be teaching. There are so many things I can be working on - organizing books for my library, working on a management plan, adding to my portfolio...

Happy Summer Break everyone!
- JoAnne

No comments:

Post a Comment